om-showroom half-serious task list

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Tue Sep 8 07:37:59 CEST 2009

I had a look at the list and sorted apps I'd like or like not to see
there or apps that I don't know if they should be at showroom.

I guess my criteria is something like this:
- The app needs a GUI - preferably a graphical X GUI but I also
accepted some that have a decent CLI-gui (like irssi)
    This drops out most libraries, servers, daemons, GNU tools etc
- I've excluded keyboard layouts
- If there's package and package-common, I've included package but
left -common out since dependencies should take care of that
    this means only paroli is included, paroli-theme -sounds and
-autostart not. If needed, add to the description!
- I included themes - I guess it's something people want to see
- I excluded opimd stuff as it doesn't have decent implementation yet
(sorry if I'm wrong here), only test scripts.
- All phone apps (SHR, zhone, paroli, ..) are included

Our intent (mine not, at least) is not to work as a WWW package
manager but show nice applications. The intend is not to replace opkg
list|grep tool_I_need or graphical package managers. Bloating the
repository with cli tools like grep or sed or stuff like bash and
busybox.

Oh yes, I'm sure I've made some mistakes.

515 packages

9 of those, I don't know if they should be included
401 of those - don't include
105 YES, include!

Included packages:

abiword	AbiWord is free word processing program similar to Microsoft(r) Word
accelges	Openmoko Accelerometer-based Gestures
aceofpenguins	The Ace of Penguins is a set of Unix/X solitaire games
based on the ones available for Windows(tm) but with a number of
enhancements that my wife says make my versions better :-) The latest
version includes clones of freecell, golf, mastermind, merlin,
minesweeper, pegged, solitaire, taipei (with editor!), and thornq (by
Martin Thornquist).
aceofpenguins-launcher	EFL launcher for ace-of-penguins
bubble-keyboard	Simple dialpad keyboard
calc	A simple calculator which is elementary-themed
callrec	a call recording application
cellhunter	CellHunter - A game to collect information about mobile phone cells
claws-mail	Mail user agent
connman	The Moblin Connection Manager
dates	Dates is a calendar application.
dictator	Call recodering program for Neo Smartphones
dillo2	Lightweight gtk+2 browser.
e-wm-theme-default	The Enlightenment Window Manager Version 17
e-wm-theme-illume	The Enlightenment Window Manager Version 17
e-wm-theme-illume-niebiee	Extremely blue Illume theme - Niebiee
e-wm-theme-illume-shr	illume SHR theme
e-wm-theme-illume-sixteen	illume SHR theme
ebrainy	Store knowledge in form of questions and answers and train them.
elementary-alarm	An Elementary based Alarm app
elementary-tests	EFL based widget set for mobile devices
elementary-theme-niebiee	Extremely blue elementary theme - Niebiee
elementary-theme-sixteen	elementary SHR theme
elementary-themes	EFL based widget set for mobile devices
elmdentica	A indenti.ca client for E
enotes	todo list manager in EFL
epdfview	A minimal PDF viewer based on gtk and poppler
essential-dialer	Simple Dialer based on Elementary and FSO
evince	Evince is a document viewer for document formats like pdf, ps, djvu.
exhibit	Exhibit is the ETK picture viewer
fbreader	FBreader is an ebook reader
ffalarms	Finger friendly alarms
fltk-chess	fltk-chess is a frontend for the Gnuchess chess playing engine.
gawk	A program that you can use to select particular records in a file
and perform operations upon them.
gnome-icon-theme	Version 2.22.0-r0 of package gnome-icon-theme
gnuchess	Gnuchess is a chess playing engine.
gpe-calendar	GPE calendar is the calendar application of the GPE PIM suite.
gpe-contacts	GPE contacts manager
gpe-filemanager	GPE file manager
gpe-gallery	GPE image viewer application
gpe-icons	Common icons for GPE
gpe-scap	A GPE application that allows you to take screenshots.
gpe-sketchbook	A GPE notebook to sketch your notes
gpe-timesheet	GPE time tracker
gpe-todo	GPE to-do list
gridpad	Gridpad handstroke recognition
hicolor-icon-theme	Version 0.10-r0 of package hicolor-icon-theme
intone	intone is a mplayer frontend for openmoko phones
irssi	Irssi is a modular IRC client with Perl scripting.
leafpad	GTK+ based simple text editor
links-x11	Links is graphics and text mode WWW browser, similar to Lynx.
mc	GNU Midnight Commander is a file manager for free operating systems.
mcabber	Jabber ncurses client
midori	Midori is a lightweight web browser.
mofi	Mofi
mokoko	Mokoko - a simple media player
mokomaze	Classic game where you control a steel ball by tilting a
wooden labyrinth
mokonnect	mokonnect is an e17 frontend to connmand
mtpaint	mtPaint is a simple painting program
notifier	A notifier for new calls and messages
numptyphysics	Numpty Physics is a drawing puzzle game in the spirit
(and style?) of Crayon Physics using the same excellent Box2D engine.
oh-puzzles	Portable Puzzle Collection
om-neon	Simple image viewer
omgps	GPS application for openmoko freerunner
omnewrotate	OpenMoko New Rotate is a screen rotation program
omoney	OMoney is a bookkeeping application for Openmoko
omview	OMView
openbmap-logger	openBmap logger and uploader of GPS/GSM data
openmoko-agpsui	GPS diagnostic tool
openmoko-icon-theme-standard2	Standard Gtk+ icon theme for the
Openmoko framework
openmoocow	OpenMooCow makes your phone (nearly) become a cow!
orrery	orrery
paroli	Paroli
pidgin	multi-protocol instant messaging client
pingus	Pingus is a free Lemmings clone.
pyefl-sudoku	Sudoku is a logic-based number-placement puzzle. The
objective is to fill a 9×9 grid so that each column, each row, and
each of the nine 3×3 boxes (also called blocks or regions) contains
the digits from 1 to 9 only one time each.
pyphonelog	PyPhonelog is a phonelog gui that connects to the shr
daemon/a custom daemon
pythm	Pythm is a media player gui designed to work with mplayer or mpd
as "slave" players.use mplayer to hear music on the road or mpd
control if your are at home.
qwo	qwo virtual keyboard
remoko	Remoko -- Bluetooth Remote Control
remoko-server	The Remoko HID Server
shr-contacts	The SHR Contacts application
shr-dialer	The SHR Dialer
shr-installer	EFL frontend for packagekit
shr-messages	The SHR Messages
shr-settings	Modular settings application for SHR based on python-elementary
shr-splash-theme-dontpanic	SHR splash screen - DON'T PANIC theme
shr-splash-theme-handy	SHR splash screen - handy theme
shr-splash-theme-niebiee	SHR splash screen - extremely blue Niebiee theme
shr-splash-theme-simple	SHR splash screen - simple SHR theme
shr-theme	Standard icon theme for the SHR distribution
shr-theme-gtk-e17lookalike	A gtk theme that looks like e17
shr-today	python-elementary and opimd based lock and today screen for
the SHR distribution
sms-sentry	An SMS monitor to locate a Neo Freerunner
supertux-qvga	SuperTux is a classic 2D jump'n'run sidescroller game in
a style similar to the original SuperMario games (QVGA, size-optimized
version)
tangogps	tangoGPS is a map and GPS application using Openstreetmap
usb-gadget-mode	Manage the default USB gadget mode
usbmode	Freerunner USB Mode Control Program
vagalume	Last.fm client
vala-terminal	A lightweight Terminal Emulator based on libvte, written in Vala.
wv	Programs for accessing Microsoft Word documents
xchat	Full-featured IRC chat client with scripting support
xournal	Xournal is an application for notetaking, sketching, keeping a
journal using a stylus.
xterm	xterm is the standard terminal emulator for the X Window System.
zhone	A phone UI based on the freesmartphone.org framework

Excluded: http://pastebin.com/m30e333a1

Don't know:
xprop	X application
opimd-utils	Test scripts for freesmartphone.org opimd interface
tasks	Task list application
plaympeg	SMPEG is a general purpose MPEG video/audio player for Linux
based on the mpeg_play and SPLAY MPEG decoders.
xtscal	Touchscreen calibration utility
shr-splash	SHR splash screen
groff	GNU roff
intuition	Intuition a prototype context dependent mobile search engine
jamvm	A compact Java Virtual Machine which conforms to the JVM
specification version 2.

The full CSV file with fields to sort is available at
http://kurppa.fi/freerunner/temp/package_filtered.csv

I don't know what's the best way to implement this
It's not easy to create rules for this..
In a way I think each app (or each package) should be individually
accepted in the showroom, it's hard to create (&maintain!) a decent
filter regexp to cover this all..