[shr-u] first impressions

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 11 12:55:50 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 10:35 +0100, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 09:21:31AM +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:

> > > And it's utterly useless, in fact I'm thinking of writing up a
> > > few small-screen usability recommendations for our friendly apps.
> > >
> > > One of them is: don't use "quit/close/..." buttons, they waste valuable
> > > eral estate and you can close the windown easily in an alternative way
> > > (panel, click on close).
> > >
> > > Rui
> >
> > Hooray - sense at last.  Coming up with a user oriented interface, not a
> > programmers idea of what he personally likes will be a great step
> > forward.  I like close buttons, but consistency is more important I
> > think.  And please, please get rid of those dumb sliders used where
> > radio buttons are used :)
>
> A slider makes more sense (at least to me) than a radio button with
> two options :)
>
> Rui

Might be cultural preference perhaps?  To me a slider means an analog
value, on/off and similar are discrete, unconnected values so should be
represented as such.  Also, I cant remember any other HCI interface that
uses sliders like this.

I am also biased in that the slider designs used in shr dont work well -
when using a finger they often require multiple swipes before they work,
or you "miss" the active area all together - especially when moving and
you are trying to set a slider while walking/carrying other items, ...

Practical issues.

BillK