QtMoko images V9

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon Sep 14 11:27:02 CEST 2009

Vincent Meurisse wrote:

> - Bad sound quality. I got complain until I switched to
> <http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/attachment/ticket/2121/gsmhandset.state.new>.
> With this, the speaker is still too low but at least the other person can hear
> me.

This is probably impossible to solve out-of-the-box. If a am right,
phones need different alsa setting (at least the buzz-fixed alsa
scenarios are different). E.g. for me the quality is good and the sound
volume is ok too.

We could write application that can test several scenarios and you could
pick up the one, that fits you best. This is very simple to implement
(someone volunteer? :)

You can also try to play with qAlsaMixer.

> - about the first second of conversation is cut. This is very annoying.

For incoming out outgoing call? For me outgoing is ok, for incoming it
takes a second between the "Answer" button press and when the call is
activated. I usually watch the screen until the call time starts
counting and then start speaking.

Something probably takes some time (maybe switching alsa scenario?).

> - When registering multiple numbers for a contact, some are not callable (like
> "mobile" and "other"). The phone show a list of numbers without them.

Yup, another bug to be solved.

> - My provider (orange in France) use service request (#123#) to give me the
> remaining credit. Unfortunately qtmoko only display the first line of the
> answer (which btw doesn't contain any usefull information). Moreover it's not
> possible to respond to it.

Can you please enable "Modem AT commands" logging and send me the line
with the text that operator sent? (should be line containing +CUSD).

> - Phone doesn't re-register to GSM network (like after leaving airplane mode
> or after network error)

Ok

> - Alarm are not working (I get them after reboot)

Known issue and i'd like to solve this one very much, because i need
alarms too.

> - "Restart Qt Extended" doesn't work (I get stuck in the console with the
> blinking cursor)

This should be fixed now, see [1].

> - Boot time is still too long (2'40 to first picture, 3'10 to PIN screen)

Yes, known issue with great improvement potential. E.g. by replacing
bash with dash i can get time 2:30 (booted ready to make call system).
It can be done like:

apt-get install dash
dpkg-reconfigure dash

and edit /etc/inid.d/qpe so that it reads:

#!/bin/sh
echo '1' > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
rm -rf /var/run/ppp
mkdir /var/run/ppp
mkdir -p /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
. /opt/qtmoko/qpe.env
atd /var/spool/at
qx_helper &
touch /tmp/restart-qtopia
while [ -e /tmp/restart-qtopia ]; do
echo 0 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/power_on
echo 1 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/power_on
qpe 2> /dev/null
done

> - QtExtended theme is not readable under the sun. A theme with more contrast
> would be apreciated

I saw such theme somewhere. If it could be installed as package there we
can add it to qtmoko package repository.

> - I find v9 more crashy than other version (5 crashes in 2 days). Maybe it's
> due to a more intense usage.

It seems that problem is in truetype font memory usage and it should be
fixed for next release. In meanwhile you can uncomment all tmpfs mounts
in fstab (except the apt one).

> - A nice boot logo would be nicer than console messages for 2 minutes

Agree here.

> A real bugtracker would be a good idea. The current one seems unloved (only 6
> bugs, none of them ever receive an update). When reporting a bug, it's not
> possible to enter the image version (like v9). It would be also great if the
> qtmoko version where accessible from the information application on the phone.

I agree here too, i will try to get in touch with Fabio who is (i
believe) qtmoko.org admin.

Regards

Radek

[1]