Freerunner in real world

rhn omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Mon Sep 14 21:56:23 CEST 2009

Michael Pilgermann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> last weekend I went for a small cycling tour and I thought, with gps in my Freerunner and track load capabilities of tangogps there is no need anymore for physical maps - I took the Freerunner with me.
>
> I was really impressed, how smoothly the whole thing was working. No problems with the GPS; no problems with tangogps either.
> However, two small problems:
> - I could not attach the phone properly to my bike; had to put it in a front bag and this was somehow a pain; also with some troubles with the sun making the reading from the display rather hard
> - The power capacity was just enough to bring me from A to B; another (longer) trip might result in troubles / me getting lost :(
>
> So my question: has anybody got any experiences with
> - attaching a Freerunner to a bike (maybe even incl. sun protection)
> - using some additional batteries?
>
> Thx in advance for you input; greetings
> Michael

Once, I used a "USB battery v2" from Hackaday (4 AA batteries) that I soldered myself. It made the FR work twice as long, but the main battery was drained to 0%, what doesn't sound healthy.
My not-so-new batteries seemed not to be able to provide the phone with enough power for it to boot.

Cheers,
rhn