SHR-U: More Adventures with Wifi

John Dowd jdowdster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:36:09 CEST 2009

I'm now trying to just run the Neo with no Wifi encryption (the AP doesn't
like something about the Neo's WPA handshake... next weeks problem) and with a
static IP address (the Neo's dhcp client s/w doesn't like something about the
DHCPOFFER message from the AP... next month's problem).

So I have the following in the interface file under "/etc/network":

# Wired or wireless interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
        address 192.168.1.20
        network 192.168.1.0
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        up route del default gw 192.168.0.200

And here is the contents of the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

# Open:
network={
     ssid="Asterisk"
     key_mgmt=NONE
     priority=80
}

Now, when the Neo boots, it appears that the wpa_supplicant.conf file does get
accessed and the AP can be seen allowing it into the network. However, once
the Wifi part is done the default route through the usb0 interface is still
there. The last line "up route del default gw 192.168.0.200" does not have any
effect and, the usb cable is not even plugged in but when I use the Neo's
terminal to look at the route table, there's the default route which I believe
confuses the TCP/IP stack on the Neo and I can't shell into it (I have read
the Wifi page about Neo and have done the subsequent mods.).

Has anyone been able to get the Neo to setup properly for Wifi access at boot?

Cheers!!
--
"To Err is human, to forgive is NOT company policy."

John Dowd
S/W Contractor
email: jdowd at gmail dot com
Cell: (613)316-7884