Updated package for the puzzle collection

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Tue Sep 22 14:45:21 CEST 2009

Hi,

I finally got tired enough of Loopy not working to do something about
it, and ended up creating an updated package.

This package has only been tested on SHR-U, but I think it should work
on OM and other opkg-based ones too? As long as they have GTK+...

The oh-puzzles package is an old fork of Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle
Collection[1], that doesn't seem to be updated these days. So I grabbed
the original source from ST's repository instead, and compiled that with
the OM toolchain. Only minor changes to the makefile was needed.

Just for the record, this is NOT a new fork, nor do I intend to make
one, this is just a build of the upstream source.

Compared with oh-puzzles, this new package contains several new games
and features, a working Loopy, and icons on all the desktop shortcuts.

The icons were generated from the same source, using code that already
existed for that purpose. The .desktop files are my addition though.

On that note: does anyone know what the size(in pixels) is of the
desktop icons on the default launcher? (so I can provide that size)

I intend to maintain this package as new versions come out, and have
(with that in mind) created a personal repository[2] holding it.
I also uploaded it to opkg.org[3], so people can find it.

I'm going to do some work on automating the building process, and
hopefully get my changes into upstream source when I'm done (there's
already code there for other platforms). One problem is the icon
generation, which needs an X server and to run the built executables.

In the meantime, anyone who wants more detail on the makefile changes or
other parts of the process, can just ask me.

I also hope to take a look at the frontend and getting support for
singlebutton mice (such as the touchscreen) into it, and have some ideas
for how to do that; but as I'm not familiar with GTK, don't hold your
breath. This probably won't happen (by my hand) anytime soon.

One thing of note is that having 27 new icons on the desktop from just
this one package can be a bit much (though similiar to oh-puzzles' 24).

Having a launcher (as fylefou suggested on opkg.org) might be a good
alternative, but I don't know how (best) to make one, and don't know if
everyone would like one (people using sortdesk might prefer not).

I also considered making a monolithic binary with all the games in one,
but as I would have to make a new frontend to do that, it's not
something I could do quickly. Besides, that would probably take more
memory to run.

If anyone has any good ideas for this, I'm listening.

--
EdorFaus

[1] http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/
[2] http://ipk.edorfaus.info/armv4t