Qi - why only 3 partitions on SD card?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 21:13:39 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any specific reason why Qi[1] only tries to boot from partition 1
> - 3 when ther csn be 4 (four) primary prtitons on a SD card?
> Or is it just developer eccentrics or programmer laziness? :-)

I believe it's an arbitrary limit based on the assumption that with no gui it
would be hard to select the intended partition. Given the touble people have
with only 3 partitions it seems well founded.

This limitation is one of the reasons I'm still using u-boot. The other is the
inability to pass optional kernel parameters when booting from NAND.