[debian] e and illume: how to configure launcher icons?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Sep 25 02:50:40 CEST 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:28:26 +0100 Al Johnson <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk>
said:

> On Thursday 24 September 2009, arne anka wrote:
> > > I'm pretty sure Illume does not have support for categories or the
> > > ability to hide apps (especially not through a menu).
> > >
> > > Workarounds:
> > > If you delete the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/, it
> > > won't be displayed.
> > > If your .desktop file doesn't contain Type=Application, I don't think
> > > it'll be displayed.
> >
> > i remember distinctly a dialog popping up first time with a listing of
> > apps and a checkbox for every app, to enable it.
> > can't get to that dialog again.
> > additionally: i want to add my very own apps to the launcher -- and that
> > as _normal_ user.
> > since linux is a _multiuser_ operating system with separation of rights,
> > it's unreasonable to expect _normal_ users to create/modify _global_ files
> > (which the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ are).
>
> I think that selection dialog is for the enlightenment menu or something. It
> has no effect on what apps appear on the illume launcher as far as I can
> tell. The illume launcher is rather lacking in functionality as you have
> found. I'm sure Raster will gladly accept patches to improve the situation,
> but afaik nobody has written any.

launcher was basic to get the job done, and it id. it hasn't been touched since
though. :) i'm slowly gettign around to splitting illume up into policy (window
layout) vs shelf (the top bar), vkbd and launcher and other bits. u'll see
illume2 in svn as a module name, but its really more of a testbed for me
cleaning up the code and "doing it right".

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com