HOWTO: Sharing SHR-U GPRS to *buntu laptop

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Fri Sep 25 20:17:33 CEST 2009

Hi!

I got some help at irc setting things up so I thougt I'd share it with you.
I'm writing this on Konqueror on my eeepc in a moving train using the
GPRS connection of Freerunner. So sharing GPRS from FR to *buntu, here
we go:

1) make sure your GPRS on FR works.
2) on fr run  opkg install iptables iptables-utils
kernel-module-ipt-masquerade kernel-module-iptable-nat
3) create firewall.sh on freerunner, see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Tethering#Turning_your_FreeRunner_into_a_Network_Address_Translation_.28NAT.29_gateway

4) on *buntu, configure the GUI network manager to understand FR. I
run Kubuntu Karmic Netbook remix with these settings:
interface: eth2
ip: 192.168.0.202
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.200
dns: grap an IP address from FR's /etc/resolv.conf when using GPRS
(=this is your service provider's dns..)

5) create a script like this on desktop:
sudo route add default gw 192.168.0.202
sudo echo "nameserver 62.241.198.246" >> /etc/resolv.conf
sudo echo "nameserver 62.241.198.245" >> /etc/resolv.conf

Change the nameserver ip addresses to the addresses at
/etc/resolv.conf on Freerunner

Then:
a) start GPRS
b) connect USB
c) run firewall.sh on freerunner
d) run the other script on desktop
DONE!

I don't know why do I have to add the nameservers manually (why KDE
doesn't do it..) or how to add the route automatically..

anyway, happy to surf now on laptop w. fr :)