Qi - why only 3 partitions on SD card?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Sat Sep 26 09:06:22 CEST 2009

Am 25.09.2009 um 21:27 schrieb Torfinn Ingolfsen:

> To a user, it might look like this:
> - U-boot wasn't working correctly with newer (bigger) kernels, so
> the developer(s) abandoned it
> - instead they created Qi to be newer, better, faster and so on
> - Qi isn't living up to promises for users
>
> I'm not saying that such a view is correct, but that is how it can
> look like from a users view.

What I wonder is why nobody did fix u-boot if it had problems with
bigger kernels.
And adding stateless boot from the rootfs would be nice to have in u-
boot as well (for other hardware that uses u-boot).

When looking into the most recent official u-boot sources I was
disappointed to find essentially nothing from OM. Other open hardware
projects like OpenPandora simply use mainstream u-boot.

Maybe, the better path would have been to integrate more OM-u-boot
back into official u-boot and work on the general limitations instead
of starting a new project (Qi).

But you can only influence the future but never change the history...

-- hns