recommendations for headset or 3.5mm adapter

Stefan Buschmann s_buschmann at gmx.de
Mon Sep 28 12:13:01 CEST 2009

Hi all!

I'm still looking for a solution to use earphones/headset on the freerunner.

I've got the official openmoko headset, but I don't like those in-ear
headphones, either they just fall out or are very uncomfortable to wear.
So I'm still looking for a good alternative to use headphones on the
freerunner.

So far I have not found a compatible headset or adapter that I could
use. I know the wiki entry about this, but that didn't help much. So
what do you use? Does anyone know of a good headset or adapter that
works with the freerunner and is available in germany? (ordering from
the US doesn't seem worth it in this case).

I also thought about soldering my own adapter, although my soldering
skills are near to zero, but that might also be good for practicing :-)
So, would it be possible to solder a wire like this?

- 1 x 2.5mm
- 2 x 3.5mm (one for standard earphone, one for standard microphone)

That way I could use standard earphones or a PC-headset, which would be
very nice. And given the configuration of the pins, it should not be too
hard to make. So, would this approach work, or is there something else
to consider which I as a software-only geek don't think of?

Thanks,

Stefan