AAVA Mobile?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 6 08:02:57 CEST 2010

undrwater wrote:
> I'm wondering if this is a re-badged product discussed here previously, or
> something relatively new?

Looks like something new. It isn't quite clear to me what semantics
they attach to "Open", in particular whether the openness is supposed
to come from the mere fact of being an x86 platform and inherently
PC-ish, or whether it also means an absence of binary kernel modules
and similar kinds of joy. Or it could just mean that they'll license
the design to anyone, which would indeed be more "open" than anything
else on the market, even though at a different level.

I'd also be curious about battery life. If they've indeed managed to
make an x86-based phone with a battery life that compares to a good
ARM-based one, that would be very impressive.

There's of course also the question to what extent x86 matters for
mobile phones today. In terms of processing power, already ARM seems
to offer more than enough for most purposes. In terms of
compatibility, they don't seem to aim for straight PC-compatibility
anyway, and the concept of an "app store", having been given a very
pronounced shape by Apple, has changed the landscape.

- Werner