AAVA Mobile?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed Apr 7 16:28:04 CEST 2010

Em 06-04-2010 15:05, arne anka escreveu:
>> The issue is really what they mean by "open".
>
> which of intel's hardware does not have open source, intel supported,
> drivers?
> if they really make all drivers available (as with their graphic adaptors
> and wifi), it would be more open than the freerunner, wouldn't it?

Except that I don't expect them to make things easy on the following
devices:
  * graphics card
  * gsm chip
  * gps chip
  * wifi chip
  * bluetooth chip

While the Freerunner isn't perfect on all of those (independent
computers running it's own firmware), at least none of them require you
to run a proprietary driver thus restricting  kernel, X11 and other
basic software upgrades. They provide an AT command interface you can
speak to the chip without blocking the rest.

If it's at least as open as the Freerunner, I'm willing to accept that
for the time being, while I wish a truly open hardware phone to come up.

However, a truly open hardware phone will require funding by someone
probably richer than Mark Shuttleworth, who has an interest in it :)

Rui