qtmoko v21

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Fri Apr 9 22:31:02 CEST 2010

Hi,
today we have also new stable qtmoko images still based on andy-tracking
2.6.29 kernel. It can be dowloaded from usual location [1].

QtMoko is distribution based on Qtopia (or QtExtended) from Trolltech for your
Neo Freerunner. For more info please see homepage [2][3] or dowload source
code [4].

Here is list of changes since previous stable version (v19):

- hopefully fixed bug #80 (lost sms, thanks to Judge_Gregg's great bug report)
- SMS messages should stay on SIM now
- wifi always available after boot (OM bug #2327) thanks to Gennady for his fix.
- more sane power management values by default (suspend after 5 minutes)
- added path to /usr/games (for scummvm and other games)
- modified kernel config - all FR hardware is now build in
- in QX you can enable rotation using accelerometers
- QMplayer uses /media/card for saving media if possible

I hope there are no regressions from previous version. If yes, please let me
know i will try to fix them for next release.

I am quite scared to say it but hopefully SMS will be working 100% from now
on. I know i have told this like 3 times before, but now i had really great
bug report and i could reproduce the bug - big thanks to Judge Gregg bug
report and idea to revert the commit which was deleting SMS from SIM. Now SMS
are also kept on SIM if possible which is good.

As for QX and rotation - you can setup application (via Favourites menu) and
enable rotation. It will use accelerometers and xrandr to rotate the screen.
For me it works only when booted with uboot and still i sometimes get white
screen. But i was able to play Broken Sword in scummvm - and it's great
experience - this game rocks on Neo.

I am now using kernel config with nodebug and nopreempt. All FR's hardware is
built in and it will work even when /lib/modules are missing. Drivers for USB
devices are still as modules. You can find kernel config and wifi patch here [5].

If you have v19 installed, you can try to upgrade without reflashing. Following
proccess is not tested but should work:

1/ download v21 tarbal
2/ replace /opt with the one in tarbal in your existing rootfs
3/ unpack /lib/modules from tarbal to your existing rootfs
4/ edit /etc/modules and delete all contents from it
5/ flash or replace kernel from tarbal (/boot/uImage-GTA02.bin)

I have a lot of plans for next version, but now enjoy new version i hope it
will serve well.

Cheers

Radek

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/