can you help collect package popularity data?

Alfa21 freerunner at my.is.it
Sun Apr 11 10:05:04 CEST 2010

2010-04-10 at 23:36 Tim Abell

> The code is at http://github.com/timabell/popularity
> improvements would be welcome, as would inclusion in the various distros.
> Perhaps if it works out this could be hosted by the various distro servers.

nice idea...
but it works only with opkg based distros and only with _packages_ (no manually installed tgz or compliled sources)

also, it seems you do not do any check on duplicated submissions from the same user.

so I think a human submitted simple "poll" is more useful.
fixed choices with the label of the application (imho version number is not strictly relevant) and the possibility for any user to add a new slot for missing ones and when submitted these new slots are converted to fixed choices for the others.
every user should have own identifier so it's possible to update the own list of installed stuff.
the date of submission should be collected too.
and ask a captcha on submission (bots are everywhere!)
--
ALFA21 IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.