tangoGPS and good user experience

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 22:07:08 CEST 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:01:23 +0200
Gilles Filippini <pini at debian.org> wrote:

> Timo Juhani Lindfors a écrit , Le 11/04/2010 20:29:
> > Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com> writes:
> >> tangoGPS has started with libgps and around version 0.7 switched
> >> away due to too many bugs. What finally triggered the switch was
> >> the fact that it didn't deliver the altitude due to a bug. As the
> >> most important data of a GPS is position, speed and altitude I
> >> considered libgps either unmaintained or with a massive lack of
> >> quality control.
> >
> > You should report these bugs. When I talked to gpsd upstream they
> > were not aware of the problems.
>
> BTW I've found gpsd upstream very responsive each time I've submitted
> a bug to them.

Currently there are 5 different GPS API's

 * gpsd old (pre 2.92)
 * gpsd new
 * Maemo
 * moblin
 * fso

As gpsd just dropped its own dbus interface and maemo plus moblin will
be meego, it would be great if gpsd would implement the meego dbus
interface, thus unifying the various APIs.

Doing this, the addition of more fine grained GPS power management
would be great: many gps chipsets support a low power mode. For example
SIRFIII chips can switch to a 5mW mode with a fix every 10secs (good
enough for walking) and the normal mode at 50mW with a continous fix.

With a 1000mW battery this means either 20 hours or 200 hours...

Last not least do all chips nowadays support AGPS - would be great to
have that in gpsd too.

Marcus