QTMoko - Diffuculty trying to mount sd as USB

Alishams Hassam alishams at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Apr 15 02:30:08 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 18:49 -0500, swoody wrote:
> Well, I've been trying my darnedest to get the sd card in my phone to
> mount as a USB drive. I have been Googling and trying to use this guide
> from the wiki to no avail:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Using_the_Neo_as_an_USB_Mass_storage_device
>
> When I try to mount the /media/card I get an error that it's not found.
> Fair enough, I run 'fdisk -l' and the only information listed is my
> internal drive. I was able to see that the device is recognized by my
> computer:
>
> [ 1959.576070] usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
> address 3
> [ 1959.791253] usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
> [ 1959.800462] eth2: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00:1d.2-2, CDC
> Ethernet Device, 00:1f:11:01:13:f6
>

> The next step, I then run 'rmmod g_ether', that module isn't existent. So
> through dmesg I find the driver which is active, and I tried disabling
> that: "rmmod cdc_ether" This is the only command which didn't give me an
> error message.
>
> On the last command (modprobe g_file_storage file=/dev/mmcblk0 stall=0), I
> get the output:
> FATAL: Error inserting g_file_storage
> (/lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_file_storage.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> After checking dmesg again, I now see:
> [ 1830.381547] g_file_storage gadget-lun0: unable to open backing file:
> /dev/mmcblk0
>

> I'm nearly at my wits end here. I don't have access to a card reader, and
> I tried setting up 3 different phones (non-FR's) as USB drives, but each
> one has it's own unique issue. So I'm left hoping someone out there may be
> able to help me out with this. I would really appreciate any ideas you all
> may have. Thanks in advance!
>
> - Woody

It looks like a kernel/module problem from the name of the kernel I'll
assume you compiled yourself. Did you copy new modules over when you
did? I have never had luck with 2.6.32 and mass storage mode. Try it
with 2.6.29. other tips, if you have a swap partition on SD make sure
it's off. Make sure your distro is on NAND and not on SD (I think there
is a way to make it work from SD but so far I've only used
g_file_storage from a distro on nand). Failing that, try older versions
of qtmoko kernel (assuming you're on qtmoko and remember to use the
appropriate modules).

Assuming all that fails, use latest shr-testing, I know for a fact it
works on this. If it doesn't work with shr-testing you're doing
something wrong.