Removing dependent libs?

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Thu Apr 22 22:52:42 CEST 2010

> I remember debian used to have a simple tool to check for and remove
> orphaned libs, but I don't remember what it's called. I'm also slightly
> nervous it might remove some libs that aren't orphaned, just not
> properly listed.

deborphan
or
apt-get autoremove

deborphan only lists, apt-get autoremove will ask you for confirmation to
remove. use -s to do a dry run.

> Anyone know an easy way to check the dependencies for an app?

well, if the packages is in status "install ok installed", everything
should be there.
do

dpkg -s packagename

for information on the package's status, description and the list of
dependencies (field "Depends:").

dpkg -C

prints a list of packages not installed correctly or nothing, if there are
none.