QtMoko - Difficulty trying to mount SD as USB

swoody swoody at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 26 14:43:19 CEST 2010

> swoody wrote:
>> Well, I've been trying my darnedest to get the sd card in my phone to
>> mount as a USB drive.
>
> [...]
>
>> I'm nearly at my wits end here. I don't have access to a card reader,
>> and
>> I tried setting up 3 different phones (non-FR's) as USB drives, but each
>> one has it's own unique issue.
>
> You can buy SD/MMC USB card readers on eBay for <5 USD with free
> shipping.  You may need a microSD→full-size SD adapter too.  I have 2
> spare SD/XD/MS/M2/TF(AKA microSD) USB card readers.  You can have 1 of
> them, but it would probably cost more for me to mail them to you than
> for you to buy an SD/MMC reader with free shipping on eBay.  I have the
> 2 spare readers because the product description on DealExtreme claimed
> they support CF, which my camera uses, but after I received them I
> discovered they do not support CF. (fail)  My 2 spare readers have
> separate slots for TF (AKA microSD) and full-size SD, though, so you
> could use both sizes of SD cards without needing an adapter.

Well thank you very much for that offer :) I was able to get USB mode
working by installing SHR onto th phone's nand. Then I followed the
instructions from that wiki page again, and was able to get it working
without issue. It acts just like a USB thumb drive - it automounts on my
laptop, I can access the SD, and I can even use gparted on it. So I think
for the time being that this will serve my purposes very well. I don't use
the SHR which is installed on nand, I just have it there 'in case', so I
have no problem leaving it installed so I can always access my sd as a USB
drive. I do think sooner or later that I may want to pick up a card
reader, and like you suggested, I think I will just find a cheap one on
eBay or NewEgg.

--
Woody
swoody at ubuntu.com