T-mobile even more plus

omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Tue Aug 3 00:07:42 CEST 2010

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 21:47:18 +0200
Ed Kapitein <ed at kapitein.org> wrote:

> On 08/02/2010 09:18 PM, omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org wrote:
> > Hi Ed,
> >
> > Congratulations for capturing the beautiful GPS track. Could you share how you managed to do it? Did you wait for the plane to start or did you get on the plane with a GPS fix?
> >
> > Both times I tried, the Freerunner lost fix just before the start.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > rhn
> >
> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 20:36:23 +0200
> > Ed Kapitein <ed at kapitein.org> wrote:
> >

> ><SNIP><
>
> Sure,
>
> Actually i took two approaches, on the trip from holland to the USA i
> used an external gps receiver [1] and used gpsd  on the FR with an
> bluetooth connection.
> I did had a fix just prior to take off.
> ( i did not hear the announcement "all electronic equipment must be
> switched off now", a sudden attack of deafness i guess... ;-) )
> The log is simply gpspipe -r > /some/file , nothing fancy there.
> I do switch log files every 500Mb, so the files don't get too big for
> rsync to be transfered over a not so reliable gprs connection at a later
> time.
>
> At the very end of our holiday i lost my gps receiver ( i left it in an
> rental RV...)
> so on the trip from the USA to holland i jammed my fr between the window
> and the "shade" ( a plastic curtain that covers the window to make it dark )
> if you remove the back cover of the FR it fits even better.
> I had a fix prior to take off, but i lost it after take off when i
> checked the FR.
> It seems the FR really needs to be close to the window to obtain and
> keep a fix
> But it did get a new fix after i put the FR against the window again and
> after studying the GPX logs at home is noticed that i had a dgps fix
> most of the time, so WAAS or EGNOS are really working on the FR.
>
> I also noticed that  the elevation seems to be working too, i was on +/-
> 10000
> meter and that seems right.
> ( holland is flat and i never could use the elevation before ;-) )
>
> Hope this answers your question?
>
> Kind regards,
> Ed
>
> [1]
> http://www.gpsshop.nl/product/49515/haicom-hi-408bt-bluetooth-gps-ontvanger.html

Thanks, this was a really exhaustive reply. I forgot to ask whether it's possible to get a fix after takeoff, but you answered even that question ;)

It seems that my problem was hiding the Freerunner underneath some cover on my lap. Next time I'm going to try the shade trick and a deafness strike (they didn't mind me taking photos, so I guess it's safe). I'll also try to see if losing the fix is related to the start of the engines.

What program did you use to capture the log files? I'm always using TangoGPS, and I never saw any DGPS information in it. I didn't even know SHR (am I guessing right?) supported DGPS!

Cheers,
rhn