Create personal Maps for tangogps or similar

omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Thu Aug 5 12:39:53 CEST 2010

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:31:14 +0200
Kevin Zuber <openmoko at knet.eu> wrote:

> > I can help you with the splitting part. A few weeks ago I wrote a script to render OSM data to svg, convert it to png and split the files into directories. It renders a specific subset of OSM data, but it can be used to split PNG images.
> >
> > You would probably be interested in the most basic version which contains only files I made or moified [1], but if you want to see the whole thing running, check out the version with external tools in it [2].
> >
> > There's a small readme in it, but I'll be happy to help if it's not enough.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > rhn
> >
> > [1] http://porcupinefactory.org/data/tilerender.tar.gz
> > [2] http://porcupinefactory.org/data/osma+tile-render.tar.gz
>
> That's really great!
> I'm really overwhelmed that this exist already, so I will have a look
> into this now :).
> Thank you!
> How can I achieve the gps calibration of my file with your script?

Well, you can't :)

I read your other post. To make it all work, you need to:
a) rectify your image - there are services like http://labs.metacarta.com/rectifier/ , but be careful, they publish your maps by default. They are open source, but difficult to set up. This will calibrate the scanned map with OSM overlay.
b) find the coordinates of the edges - should not be very hard
c) modify my set of scripts to accept the rectified image and edges' coordinates - I'll have to take a look at it if you need help here
d) run the script

Cheers,
rhn