When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri Aug 13 12:31:13 CEST 2010

Am 13.08.2010 um 11:53 schrieb arne anka:

> wasn't there something about samsung making the hw specs public for at
> least one of their samrtphones? i can't find that news article again.
> and a long time ago someone (raster? can't find that mail) wrote about big
> things to come -- even that in connection with samsung?

Yes, I remember this as well. And, there was also some recent initiative by 'leviathan' to discuss with Samsung. But IMHO, even if they open the hw specs for one device, this will be one device. No promise for a future one. Some day they simply pull the plug for unknown reasons (like Sharp did with the Zaurus).

And, I never understood why we should assume, that a premier league player would ever care for a small community like ours. According to latest Gartner data Samsung sells 65 million phones per quarter. We have approx. 15k Freerunners over 3 years.

My conclusion is that a small company promises more long-term stability than a large one, even if development cost is high (it is lower than you all assume), and component cost are high in low quantities (that depends a little on choosing the right components).

Nikolaus