When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Brian bneil at rochester.rr.com
Fri Aug 13 20:55:54 CEST 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:02:35 +0200
"Dr. Michael Lauer" <mickey at vanille-media.de> wrote:

> Am 13.08.2010 um 03:45 schrieb Joshua Judson Rosen:
>
> > Brian <bneil at rochester.rr.com> writes:

> >> I wouldn't necessarily color all ports of FOSS as anti-vendor. In
> >> fact don't they demonstrate the versatility and adaptability of
> >> FOSS in relation to all hardware, especially hardware that isn't
> >> open? That's a good thing if the goal is to strive towards choice
> >> for consumers. Granted it's not the ideal situation but it is a
> >> step in the right direction.
> >
> > The term "anti-vendor port" initially struck me as a little odd, as
> > well, but now I think that Mickey is using a fairly strict
> > definition of "anti-", meaning "contrary to"--with "anti-vendor"
> > meaning "contrary to the vendor" or (more clearly) "contrary to the
> > wishes or actions of the vendor".
>
> Correct. This is exactly what I mean – the vendor is not going to
> help you and chances are it has taken measures to make your job
> really hard (such as using completely undocumented custom silicon,
> let alone e-fuses or nightmares alike).
>
> :M:

It seems I got the wrong impression from the term anti-vendor. The
context seems more obvious to me now than when I initially read your
post. Sorry about the confusion.

I think Openmoko was ahead of the curve in offering a device like the
Freerunner. In a subsequent post you mention that the cost of R&D isn't
as prohibitive as one would think. Perhaps someone will pick up where
Openmoko left off. It's a niche market but I find the phone quite
usable even if it is a bit quirky at times.

Brian