When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Brian bneil at rochester.rr.com
Fri Aug 13 21:13:34 CEST 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:22:02 +0200
"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at computer.org> wrote:

> Am 12.08.2010 um 14:12 schrieb RANJAN:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > When is the next and more powerful openmoko (capable of seamless 3D
> > video and faster processor) is going to be released???
>
> Assume, you could get a motherboard upgrade board that fits into the
> Freerunner (or Neo1973) case. Based on the TI OMAP3 SoC (OMAP3530 or
> DM3730) and UMTS.
>
> Let me ask two questions to everybody:
> * How long could you be willing to wait for it to really become
> available?

As long as it takes for one to become available. I prefer the concept
of using something that is as open as possible by design.

> * How much would you think you could afford to pay for such a board?

People have been tossing the 500 euro (~$638 USD) benchmark around and
that's a bit steep for me. Depending on the capabilities of the board
and provided it's a drop in replacement I'd say ~$300-350 USD would be
my limit.

Brian