[SHR] X forwarding: export DISPLAY?

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:57:55 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM, W. B. Kranendonk <wankelwankel at yahoo.com>wrote:

> At best (or worst) the application opens on the Freerunner. Then there are
> various degrees of stranding on the way to the display of my laptop
>
> The output is quite clear:
> (vala-terminal:2759): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> There is no display set. This is with the default /etc/profile
> (DISPLAY=:0). I tried setting it manually to point to the freerunner, to no
> avail. Xauth does not list any displays, while there is a display on my
> laptop (how handy..)
>
> Any suggestion?

One thing would be more information in your problem report. I think you are
trying to start an X client on your FR and have the output come to your
desktop, but that isn't 100% clear. Always describe what you are trying to
do, in simple terms (eg: "I'd like to start xmines on my FR and have it show
up on my Desktop").

Next, I'm unclear how you are connecting between your FR and your Desktop.
USB cable? Ethernet? Intervening device(s)? Wifi? Mind meld? :)

You reference "DISPLAY", and even give us a pretty good error message. But
without some of the above info, it'll be harder to know what is going on.

It would also help if you let us know your approx. skill level. (eg: "While
I'm a Ubuntu GUI guru, I'm a newbie at getting X working between different
machines").

Now, I have the older 1973 (pre-FR), and it's been a while since I hacked on
it. But if memory serves, I was able to get X working with the right
settings.

I'll assume a few things -- that you are directly connecting to the FR (no
other devices in the middle), and that there is no encryption. In that case,
you probably
need 2 things. First, is the correct DISPLAY setting. This is usually
"DISPLAY=hostname:0.0", where hostname = desktop's hostname. Second, you
have
to either "xhost" or "xauth" your FR, something like "xhost
+freerunnerhostname". Now, I don't know if there is some FR specific issue
or distro problem that
might be affecting the FR/FR OS, so your mileage may vary. But, feel free to
try out the above suggestion and let us know if it works, and if it doesn't,
please
answer some of the other questions above.

Hope this helps,
Gerald