[SHR] X forwarding: export DISPLAY?

Niels Heyvaert nielsheyvaert at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 10:22:59 CEST 2010

This looks like a pretty comprehensive how-to.

Anyone documenting this on the Wiki?

Xavier?

Niels.

> From: Xavier Cremaschi <omega.xavier at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SHR] X forwarding: export DISPLAY?
> To: community at lists.openmoko.org
> Date: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 4:10 PM
> Basically, you need
>
> a computer with :
> - a working X server (mainly Xorg)
> - a working ssh client with -X option (mainly
> openssh-client)
> (Note for working X server on cygwin : be sure to launch
> xterm, not the
> basic tty)
>
> a Freerunner with :
> - a working X client (the app you want to launch, tangogps
> for example)
> - a working ssh server with "X11Forwarding yes" in its
> config (for
> openssh-server it's in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, be sure to
> restart ssh
> server after any modification to this file)
>

> Then give us any error you can see while doing your ssh
> -X.
>
> On the freerunner, and after a ssh -X, $DISPLAY should NOT
> be :
>     localhost:0
> because it's the X server of the freerunner, but it should
> be something
> like :
>     localhost:10.0
> which is where ssh server listen to transmit your display
> data to ssh
> client.
>

> Xavier.

--Doorgestuurd bericht in de bijlage--
From: omega.xavier at gmail.com
To: community at lists.openmoko.org
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:27:37 +0200
Subject: Re: [SHR] X forwarding: export DISPLAY?

To continue :

if you want to do it 'old school' without ssh -X doing the job for you,
you need to authorize your X server to accept distant X clients

To authorize X server of "here" to display application running on
"faraway", you need to do (here$ is the prompt) :
    here$  xhost +faraway

Then you need to log yourself on faraway (ssh without -X nor -Y, rsh,
telnet, xterm on freerunner...) and launch your application with a good
$DISPLAY
    faraway$  DISPLAY=here:0 my_application

If it does not work :
- either "faraway" doesn't allow the X client to go out (firewall ?)
- or "here" has its X server running with "-nolisten tcp" and therefore
refuses any connection

If you have "-nolisten tcp" (check with ps), you can remove it but it
depends on how you launch your X server :
- if you use startx, check your /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc (or ~/.xserverrc)
- if you use gdm, launch gdmconfig and check security options)
- if you use kdm or xdm, I don't know :S

If you want to control the freerunner desktop from your PC, you could
use vnc.
On the freerunner you start x11vnc :
    faraway$   x11vnc
but NOT from a ssh -X, you don't want any redirection here.

On your pc you start your vnc client :
    here$    vncviewer faraway:0

Xavier.
PS : use ip addresses instead of names like here and faraway

--Doorgestuurd bericht in de bijlage--