[ANN][SHR][Debian] New Emacs interface for FSO

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 08:11:24 CEST 2010

Hi,

Michael, let me take this opportunity to thank you for all the
wonderful opportunities opened by the D-Bus integration in Emacs, it
really rocks :)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:24:05PM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
> >     Unfortunately, it’s not currently possible for one emacs
> >     process to use both local and remote dbus message
> >     buses due to bindings’ limitation.
>
> What do you mean by this? Is it a restriction we could throw away in
> Emacs?

Yes, to the best of my understanding to leverage this restriction one
needs to modify dbusbind.c. Currently the emacs bindings accept only
:session or :system for the bus name and use dbus_bus_get() to get one
of them. It should support also arbitrary strings and call
dbus_connection_open() instead (in xd_initialize()). One should also
not forget to call dbus_connection_unref() after he's done (according to
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/group__DBusConnection.html).
I also suspect that dbus_bus_get has an interesting undesired
side-effect: it'll kill the app if connection drops.  Not exactly what
you want to be done with your emacs.

OTOH, i'm not sure this usecase is worth caring about. At least i know
i'm the only user of fso.el and i do not really need that :/

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com