[debian] howto: rebuilding sgt-puzzles for the FR

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Tue Dec 21 00:25:14 CET 2010

On 12/19/2010 06:29 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> EdorFaus<edorfaus at xepher.net>  writes:
>> On 12/17/2010 12:59 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
>>> Could you make this a command line option?
>>
>> It already is, sortof - basically, replace the "debian/rules binary"
>> command with this one:
>
> I meant a command line option that a user could pass so that he would
> not need to recompile..

Ah. That's... technically possible, I *think*, but would be quite a bit
of work for (IMHO) very little gain, as most people don't need access to
both variants on the same device, and if they do, that can be solved
more easily by having them both installed in seperate locations.

Really, for the FR (and similar devices), the better solution for what I
guess you're really after (ease of use for non-techies) would be to make
this the default in the binary package, or to provide an alternate
binary package with this configuration.

I'm not sure if the former is practical for Debian, as I'm not sure if
their systems are set up for having different patches/compile options on
different architectures, but you could ask the arch maintainers I guess.

The latter would be as easy as someone doing the recompilation once,
then making the resulting package file available for the relevant users
to install - either manually, or using a repository. That way, the end
users wouldn't need to compile, just the person maintaining the variant
package.

-EdorFaus