[debian] howto: rebuilding sgt-puzzles for the FR

Neil Jerram neiljerram at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 12:41:52 CET 2010

On 20 December 2010 23:25, EdorFaus <edorfaus at xepher.net> wrote:
> On 12/19/2010 06:29 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
>>
>> I meant a command line option that a user could pass so that he would
>> not need to recompile..
>
> Ah. That's... technically possible, I *think*, but would be quite a bit of
> work for (IMHO) very little gain, as most people don't need access to both
> variants on the same device, and if they do, that can be solved more easily
> by having them both installed in seperate locations.

I don't quite agree that the gain would be "very little".  For me,
though, it is not a priority to do this; the solution of rebuilding
the package is good enough (especially with the "CFLAGS=...
debian/rules binary" invocation) for the bottlenecks in my Debian
usage to move elsewhere, and hence I'm now shifting focus to other
things.

> Really, for the FR (and similar devices), the better solution for what I
> guess you're really after (ease of use for non-techies) would be to make
> this the default in the binary package, or to provide an alternate binary
> package with this configuration.

I don't know, but I would guess that there may be armel devices on
which the current standard build is just fine.  So I'm not sure it
would work for armel to imply switching on those #defines.

Surely the optimal solution would be runtime auto-detection?  Does
udev provide sufficient information to infer that there is a
touchscreen and no keyboard?

Regards,
          Neil