QtMoko v30; UBIFS; can't boot

Ivan Matveev imatveev13 at nm.ru
Tue Dec 28 23:59:49 CET 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:40:10 +0100
Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Ivan Matveev wrote:
>
> > That's the sources I'v looked at to learn how Qi uses NAND
> > partitions. Funny
> > find ./ -exec grep -H ubi '{}' ';'
> > finds nothing relevant. Am I looking at the right sources?
>
> Ahh sorry, i forgot you need to be on the right branch:
>
> https://github.com/radekp/qi/tree/qtmoko-v28

Thank you.

> > I think it wold be ideal if Qi wold treat NAND as a regular
> > partition, i.e. wold read  kernel options from
> > identity-ext2/append-GTA2. I think I could implement that. Looking
> > for the place in the sources where Qi reads append-GTA02. Have a
> > little difficulty understanding the sources.
>
> I might be wrong, but that would involve reading jffs2/ubifs/yaffs
> and whathever else filesystem. This goes quite against the idea of qi
> to keep it simple.

My idea was to put NAND kernel options in to append-GTA02 file on
"identity-ext2"(mtd5, dfu-util calls it "factory") NAND partition.
The partition contains ext2 file system so we don't have to
add jffs/ubifs support to Qi.
Qi already mounts the partition and reads "usb" file from it.
See:
radekp-qi-b214400/src/cpu/s3c2442/gta02.c
char * append_device_specific_cmdline_gta02(char * cmdline)
[...]
if (!ext2fs_mount()) {
[...]
len = ext2fs_open("usb");
Also Qi already has a parser for append-[device] files.
So we cold just add "identity-ext2" partition to the list of partitions
that Qi search for /boot/append-GTA2
and immediately  have configurable kernel options for NAND boot.