Freerunner can not maintain wireless connection to a Linux AP

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 19:12:51 CET 2010

On Friday 05 February 2010, Yogiz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I realise that this problem might equally well be the fault of my AP's
> configuration but since my Freerunner is the only client affected, I
> figured I'd start from here.
>
> I have a linux PC that acts as a wireless AP using hostapd, ath5k
> drivers from the kernel and WPA2 for encryption. I have about 5-7
> laptops connected to the AP regularly and they have not had the same
> problem as the Freerunner.

I have a similar problem with my wrt54g (stock firmware) which doesn't play
nicely with the power saving on the Freerunner's WiFi chipset. Try disabling
the power saving mode using Freerunner. I don't remember if i need the
iwconfig command, the wmiconfig command, or both, to make the connection
reliable, but both  are mentioned in the wiki. If you use a roaming
wpa_supplicant configuration in /etc/network/interfaces you can probably put
the required commands in pre-up and post-down to automate its use on the
access points that need it, but not those that don't.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wifi#Disable_power_management