New significant speedups coming to FreeRunner

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 5 23:44:47 CET 2010

On 14 January 2010 22:41, Neil Jerram <neiljerram at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I've just installed Timo's kernel from
> http://users.tkk.fi/~tajyrink/moko/kernel_20100108_nodebug_nopreempt/uImage-moredrivers-GTA02_oma-andy-2a04ce8203d7d0f1.bin, [...]
>
> But I noticed two apparent changes/regressions.
>
> 1. The openmoko-panel-plugin battery icon doesn't notice changes to
> the battery charging state.  I can force it to notice by clicking on
> the icon, but it doesn't notice itself.  I guess that means that the
> dbus signals for charging status are not working.

I think I've fixed this one.  Apparently kobject notification has
changed behaviour in the case where the /sys paths that frameworkd
watches are symbolic links.  When the Python-level notification
callback is called, the path given is a canonical link, not the
original symbolic link path.

The change at http://gitorious.org/stuff-for-openmoko-freerunner/debian-usr-share-pyshared/commit/2833bf870b87d4892083daaf6c1c46b4237195d1
addresses this, and makes battery reporting work again for me.

Can anyone comment on whether this analysis and fix are correct?

Regards,
       Neil