OM future

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Sat Feb 6 21:36:23 CET 2010

Although I am not an official from OM I think I can answer some of
your questions. See below. If I am wrong, I would be happy to be
corrected...

BR,
Nikolaus

Am 06.02.2010 um 20:57 schrieb Pietro m0nt0 Montorfano:

> Hi lists,
> hoping that some official OpenMoko employee is still reading this ml
> i'd
> like to know which are the plans for the future. There will be a
> GTA03??

No. GTA03 development was cancelled last year in favour of the
WikiReader.

> If so are you working on it? So, the FR is a good thing, now it's 2
> years old and you know, it has its problems (1024, buzz, glamo,...)
> so,

These problems are now solved. There are either buzz / 1024 fixes
around, some companies or nice guys offering them. And recently we
have started to offer GTA02A7+ (where buzz and 1024 are already
fixed). This is of course not done by OM, Inc. but others. But does
that make any difference?

For the GLAMO there has also been much progress. AFAIK, the official
X.org server now supports it quite well. And the kernel has also been
accelerated recently.

> i'd like to look forward and get a new wonderful device like this.

There is at least one public project: GTA02-core aiming at new devices
like this (i.e. free&open smartphone platform). And, I know of at
least one more project to be announced this year.

> So any news??

Yes, many. But probably not from the sources you have looked at. They
are not that aggregated and said by an official spokesperson.

So there is no need to wait for OM, Inc. This is also the real benefit
of that OM did open a lot of information and materials to secure the
future of the Openmoko movement, even if the company does no longer
participate. That is probably the best thing that did happen - to
successfully seed an idea.

> Thanks a lot!
>
> Pietro

Mobile Office Solutions
by Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG
Buchenstr. 3
D-82041 Oberhaching
+49-89-54290367
http://www.handheld-linux.com

AG München, HRA 89571
VAT DE253626266
Komplementär:
Golden Delicious Computers Verwaltungs GmbH
Oberhaching, AG München, HRB 16602
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Digital Tools for Independent People