OM future

Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano monto84 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 09:04:44 CET 2010

Il giorno sab, 06/02/2010 alle 21.36 +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller ha
scritto:
> Although I am not an official from OM I think I can answer some of
> your questions. See below. If I am wrong, I would be happy to be
> corrected...
>
> BR,
> Nikolaus
>

> Am 06.02.2010 um 20:57 schrieb Pietro m0nt0 Montorfano:
>
> > Hi lists,
> > hoping that some official OpenMoko employee is still reading this ml
> > i'd
> > like to know which are the plans for the future. There will be a
> > GTA03??
>
> No. GTA03 development was cancelled last year in favour of the
> WikiReader.

I know, just hoping that it was put on the road again

> > If so are you working on it? So, the FR is a good thing, now it's 2
> > years old and you know, it has its problems (1024, buzz, glamo,...)
> > so,
>
> These problems are now solved. There are either buzz / 1024 fixes
> around, some companies or nice guys offering them. And recently we
> have started to offer GTA02A7+ (where buzz and 1024 are already
> fixed). This is of course not done by OM, Inc. but others. But does
> that make any difference?

Got all fixes except 1024

> For the GLAMO there has also been much progress. AFAIK, the official
> X.org server now supports it quite well. And the kernel has also been
> accelerated recently.

This is not a solution, it's much a workaround. Glamo should make 3d
fancy animation but it's sitting on the wrong bus and can accelerate a
window smaller than the FR screen 480x480 vs 480x640.

> > i'd like to look forward and get a new wonderful device like this.
>
> There is at least one public project: GTA02-core aiming at new devices
> like this (i.e. free&open smartphone platform). And, I know of at
> least one more project to be announced this year.

Ok, this is what i was asking for! :D

> > So any news??
>
> Yes, many. But probably not from the sources you have looked at. They
> are not that aggregated and said by an official spokesperson.
>
> So there is no need to wait for OM, Inc. This is also the real benefit
> of that OM did open a lot of information and materials to secure the
> future of the Openmoko movement, even if the company does no longer
> participate. That is probably the best thing that did happen - to
> successfully seed an idea.

Thanks

Pietro