[Shr-User] Alternatives to FR

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 10 23:11:05 CET 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, GNUtoo wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 01:12 +0000, William Kenworthy wrote:
> > What alternatives to the FR (with the same functionality) are there?  I
> > want 3G phone/sms access and the FR doesnt cut it any more ...
>
> None yet,palm pre comming very soon...(huge progress have been made with
> the modem.)
>
> > The android phones (htc dream?) - none of which are fully functional on
> > FSO/SHR (I think), and access through android to the underlying system
> > is minimal.
>
> Kernel work has not been finished yet,we are working on it:
> Status here:
> http://www.htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Dream#Status
> But in another hand you can already use the modem.
>
> > Flow - good but pricy, and unless I am looking at the design wrong,
> > there is only one adapter/interface socket so you can have a phone, or a
> > GSM device, but not both at the same time.
> >
> > Nokia n900 - probably the best choice at this time.
>
> The N900 is very proprietary:
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_Maemo
> The thing in red in the image are proprietary,including some core things
> like battery charging.

Except that if you read the page a number of the things in red are actually
open, and many are things that don't matter if you're going to put something
other than maemo on it. Overall it doesn't look any worse to me than the Dream
or Pre, except that they've had more time for reverse engineering their
proprietary bits.