[qtmoko] New significant speedups coming to FreeRunner

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Tue Feb 16 15:48:49 CET 2010

On Monday 15 February 2010 19:33:56 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

> A framebuffer device is usually slower than a native driver under X.
>
> My Freerunner's UI performance definitely felt a bit faster after moving
> to the native driver.

My point is that X server probably kills the performance here. You can try
compile Qtopia on top of X and you will see the difference.

> The slowness of the graphics is better explained by the brain deadness
> of the hardware.

I think that this is very unfortunate explanation. To me it looks like
somebody said that freerunner's graphics sucks and there is no way it will
ever be faster and it was taken as a fact.

Now i just change a few kernel config options and few line patch (thanks to
Thomas White) and the graphics speed is very nice. In QVGA it can probably
match iPhone or any Android device.

Sorry, i dont like to hear that it sucks. It could be probably good enough as
any other phone.

Regards

Radek