[GTA02] VGA-QVGA switching - #2263 revisited

Vladimir Koutny vlado at moko.ksp.sk
Tue Feb 16 16:45:04 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to get VGA-QVGA switching/rotation to work - with mixed results..

Distro: recent SHR-t (using Xorg), xglamo-hack disabled during startup

Commands I intend to use (ie, VGA portrait and QVGA landscape):
  xrandr -s 240x320 -o 3
  xrandr -o 0 -s 480x640

I don't really care about specific kernel version - I just want it to run
'well' with SHR-t (this mode switching, suspend, maybe wifi; if I need to
hack some changed sysfs paths that's OK)

The best I can get is with default SHR-t kernel (which is andy-tracking);
however, in this case bug #2263 is present (after res. change the image
is shifted randomly on the screen, http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2263)

I've tried a few more kernels:

2.6.31-no-drm:
  simple rotation corrupts the display or WSOD

2.6.32-no-drm:
  rotation in VGA works
  QVGA is mostly white
  #2263 is not present

2.6.3x-drm:
  QVGA/rotation not available (not via xrandr at least)

latest 'experimental' kernel from http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/experimental
(as mentioned in #2263):
  DRM -> no QVGA

Thus, I'd like to ask if anyone know:
 - a solution that works?
 - a git revision which is supposed to fix #2263?
 - some background on #2263 so I can try to fix it in SHR kernel?

I'm also fine with DRM kerels if they can somehow switch the modes/orientations;
I didn't find a word how that should work, though.

Thanks & regards,
Vlado