Debian - issues

Sebastian Reichel elektranox at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 21:50:37 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 09:35:30PM +0200, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org writes:
> > It's installed on SD card with multiple partitions, but how to mount
> > the other partitions? I couldn't find the relevant device files in
> > /dev, except for mtdX, which are character devices and probably
> > related to builtin NAND anyway.
>
> uname -r?
> dpkg -l udev?
> zgrep SYSFS /proc/config.gz | grep DEPRECATED?
>
> My guess is that you have too old kernel which does not work with your
> udev.
>
> > Another issue: wlan. I'm using a 2.6.29 kernel (I don't know if it's
> > the kernel I use on my primary SHR or Debian-installed one). I know
> > there are some WiFi problems with it, but my research suggested
> > people were able to use it sometimes. In my case, the network device
> > is not even present... Can I do something about this?
>
> We need to first know which kernel you have.
>
> > Bonus question: why does Debian feel (and compile stuff) so much
> > faster than SHR?
>
> No idea, you need to come up with some objective benchmarks :-)

Hi,

probably the kernel from the repository. DEPRECATED is still in
there, I'm currently experimenting which stuff can be compiled as
module and which things cannot. E.g. the vibrator doesn't work if
compiled as module (after loading the module there is no file in
/sys) The upload will finally disable DEPRECATED links in /sys.

About the speed - The packages are compiled with -O2 and the kernel
has the debugging stuff and preemption disabled.

I heard wifi is sometimes not working as expected with the optimized
kernel for unknown reasons. I haven't used wifi for quite some time,
so I don't know all the details.

-- Sebastian