gta02-core (was Re: OM future)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Feb 25 09:56:33 CET 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:41:42 +0000 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> said:

> Em 25-02-2010 01:39, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) escreveu:
> > boys with the big pots of money are surprisingly close there. rome wasn't
> > built in one day. fight the battles you can win - dont fight the impossible
> > ones. sure - it's not as glorious. it's not as sexy. but it gets you one
> > small step closer to where you'd like to be. you may never get it. that's
> > the nature of compromises. but you can get some of it at least.
>
> Oh come on, don't beat them with a stick, if you don't have people
> working on this now, then when the time comes there will be pretty much
> nothing to show and all the time of development will have to start
> *then* instead of now :)
>
> The beauty of these communities thing is that one resource spent in
> developping gta02-core is not one resource not spent in SHR because (and
> I might be wrong here because I'm not into gta02-core) most likely
> gta02-core people don't feel as excited writing software for a
> smartphone environment (PIM, call support, other apps, etc...).
>
> As such, gta02-core people are not diminishing SHR people, but
> complementing.

ask werner. he's waiting for the pot of gold to make gta02-core go from files
and plans to product. waiting and waiting for it... and he's right - he needs
the pot of gold. and while he waits - the design ages, components become rarer
ads they age...

unlike software - which has pretty much 0 cost of entry, modification and
distribution other than time and effort - hardware doesn't. thats a fundamental
difference. anyone - if they have source, can modify, improve or whatever some
code with the only real cost being time, production, distribution is basically
free (via compiling+tarring up+download/internet).  hardware is not. every
"Download" is a hefty cost - and that cost is also entirely based on how much
"stock" you prepare for "download" first (100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000
etc.) and for the lower numbers sometimes production just wont happen as no one
is willing to produce so few. minimum production numbers etc.

you could do a fully open phone 1 at a time. it'd cost $1mil+ per phone. got
the pot of gold to make your own $1mil+ phone? :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com