gta02-core (was Re: OM future)

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Thu Feb 25 12:54:35 CET 2010

raster,

> may be waiting forever. if it does happen you'll find yourself comparing to
> "iphone 4g" or "nexus 2" or whatever is now out in the 95% of the market. and
> then crying why it sucks so much in comparison. that was already the case for
> freerunner. like it or not there is an expectation of at least being in the
> same ballpark - and as such the big-boys ballpark keeps drifting further away
> from the "open" one. i think it's better to make the big ballpark have more

I do think there is a 3rd way. The gigahertz/gigabyte race is not the only
race in town. Let them have it.
A product that just works very well always has a chance. Usability race. Put
people and their real needs and real ability to understand and use products
in the center. Don't give a damn if everybody around you goes from 2GHz to 3GHz.
Again, no hard feelings, let them have it their way.

But there is room for slow made (but still high-tech) products. Product
cycles that are so long that they allow real feedback to trickle back from
users to creators. What we have now is that most feedback is ignored because
by the time it reaches the creators, they are already 2 generations ahead.

Plus I have to say - the industry is turning into a produce trash throw-away
trash industry so fast I couldn't even imagine.
Even I gave in now: When I shop for a DVD player, I buy the cheapest.
Absolutely the cheapest. No prisoners taken.
Inevitably, some X months later, I run into the first (officially bought) DVD
with latest-and-greatest DRM tricks on it that won't play. Now I throw away my
player and get a new one (of course cheapest again).
This system works quite well.
But it's insane!

The phone industry is cranking out 1+ billion phones a year.
Very soon they need to increase the crappiness and "won't fix" features in
their products so they have a chance to sell the billions more already in the
pipeline.
There definitely is another way. Must be. Business opportunity!
Let's see how long people will be using their FreeRunners, and how long
they will be using their N900... If the FreeRunner would be bug free, I'm
sure people would still use them in 10+ years, easily.

Way to go gta02-core, and way to go osmocom!
Wolfgang