gta02-core (was Re: OM future)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 26 00:31:48 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 02:10 +1100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:00:49 +0100 rixed at happyleptic.org said:
>
> > -[ Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:47:35PM +1100, Carsten Haitzler ]----
> > > a phone to make 40k units would be easily double that - if not triple. and
> > > thats 2g only. 3g will bump that up again.
> >
> > I don't know for other countries, but here in France the majority of
> > 3g subscribers never use it. All day long you can see adds on TV trying
> > to sell video calls, TV on phone, etc, yet you could pack in a bus all
> > the people that actually _use_ these services.
>
> internet. need i say more. as such its actually used here in australia, and in
> japan, and korea, and the usa, etc. - people really do use phones for looking
> up stuff, maps (yes downloading the  maps as you go), blogging, instant
> messaging and email - oh god email. sure - video calls, tv etc. are pretty moot
> - but the other things definitely use 3g - there is a big difference between 2g
> and 3g for speed when it comes to loading web pages. not to mention cost-wise -
> 2g and 3g get priced differently with 3g being much much much cheaper for data
> in au than 2g generally (cheapest telco for data is 3 and they are 3g only - 2g
> data rates are just silly. 3g data is cheap).
>
> but - u'd need a phone that actually uses such things nicely and still most
> people dont have one. you'd need an iphone, modern android or palm webos device
> for this to really work. then it becomes a different game as your phone can
> make use of all that data...

Also dont forget "progress" - here in Western Australia GSM coverage is
static and may even be shrinking, where 3G is already far greater and
expanding.  The freerunner is a phone only as long as a network is
available to connect to - as I found out when on holiday last year.
Think driving hundreds of kilometers with no connection at all, where a
3G phone at least had a connection at many places.

GSM obsolete here :(

BillK