GSM Network Time

Jens Seidel jensseidel at users.sf.net
Mon Jan 4 18:25:16 CET 2010

Hi,

(Alex, is it really so hard for you to properly avoid top postings and to
remove useless parts?)

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 04:29:06AM +1100, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Esben Stien <b0ef at esben-stien.name> wrote:
> > Any way to extract the time from the GSM network and have the time set
> > based on this?.
> >
> > Many phones have this capability.

Really? All phones I know about require me to input the time after I removed
the battery for a longer time.

> > It would also be nice to set the time based on GPS, when that is
> > available, but often when indoors, only GSM works.

GPS in indeed used for synchronisation, but you have to start an
applications such as tangogps first (on SHR).

> SHR already does both (GSM and GPS). You should set the local timezone
> - http://trac.shr-project.org/trac/wiki/Tweaks#Timezone

As far as I know only the timezone is extracted from GSM. I even read the
source code to guess whether GSM is able to set time but didn't find any
hint.

On SHR also a timeserver is used (requested every 10min IIRC) once you setup
the network.

Jens