Buzz fix (Was: Re: [Shr-User] Quick e-mail poll: Still using your Freerunner?)

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Mon Jan 4 18:53:06 CET 2010

On Friday 01 January 2010 20:35:03 Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 07:26:37PM +0100, Esben Damgaard wrote:
> > Yes and no. I have two Freerunners (and a gta01 that collects dust). One
> > without buzzfix. Using it for testing, programming and playing.
> > Other one with buzzfix and using it as primary phone.
>
> I'm curious, do you notice any difference between the buzz fixed one and
>  the other? I read that only a few phones are affected by the buzz problem
>  but nearly all (including the buzz fixed ones) have major problems with
>  audio quality (noise, echo).

I own a rev. A5 freerunner and was seriously affected by the buzz problem.
After applying the hardware fix the audio quality improved a lot. Before the
fix there was no chance to use the FR as a phone.

However, the audio quality was never as good as on a friends rev A7 FR
(without buzz-fix).  I did a lot of experimenting and tweaking with all
possible audio parameters but the volume has always been either too low or
distorted. He just uses the default audio configs and has nearly no problems
with sound quality.

> So I wonder whether it's worth to get such a fix.

It is definetly worth it if you, or better said your call partner expierences
a rather loud buzz. The fix will remove that buzz but won't fix other issues
like rustling, echo or low volume. Those issues can mostly be addressed with
software.

Hope that helps,
Michael