[Shr-User] Maintain(er) OpenMokoProjects [was: Openmoko projects page down]

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Thu Jan 7 20:33:44 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 07.01.2010 at 09:59:09 +0200, Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:
> > I can think of (but):
> > - sourceforge.net (for my taste has become too much marketing touchy)
> > - google code (well; it's still Google)
> > - some corner on SHR web side??
> > - github.com (I have no experience at all; but it looks like providing most of the functionality I mentioned before

- Savannah
- bitbucket.org
- Alioth
- Gna
- Launchpad

> > - feshmeat.net (would only be for the "front page" I guess)

Freshmeat is only an aggregator/a project database. You can list a
project there, but need to point elsewhere for the real content, afaik
(I have listed a few projects there, none of them my own). The projects
themselves are mostly, if not all, hosted elsewhere.

> Google Code seems to work well, I don't have experience from others. I

Imho, the user interface of Google is not very appealing, as is their
performance and limitation in what kind of SCM they support. I've not
yet operated a project there.

Alioth supports the full range of SCMs, but has the awkward GForge
interface (a fork from an earlier version of SourceForge's code when it
was released under the GPL).

github and bitbucket and Launchpad appear to support only git,
mercurial or bazaar, respectively, but I'd welcome corrections.

> would also think Google is reliable enough that it'll not just
> disappear from the net. And since working on public/open data, it
> really doesn't matter if you store it somewhere else - Google will
> find it anyway :)

I'd opt for something fail-safe, if possible. That may also mean to not
put all one's eggs in one basket.

Kind regards,
--Toni++