[FSO] the Display resource

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Fri Jan 8 01:23:37 CET 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 07.01.2010, 21:57 +0100 schrieb Michal Brzozowski:
> Sorry this has been documented somewhere. I'm playing with the
> 'Display' resource, and I'm totally confused.

I can understand that. The semantics of the Display (and CPU) resource
is somewhat different from the semantics of the other peripherals.

The display resource is _not_ controlling the display. What it does
instead is modifying the way the Idle Notifier works. When you claim the
display resource, then the Idle Notifier IDLE_DIM (and subsequent
states, such as LOCK and SUSPEND) will no longer be sent, hence the
display will stay on and the device will not go into suspend.

> If I put this into /etc/freesmartphone/oevents/rules.yaml:
>
>     while: PowerStatus()
>     filters: Not(HasAttr(status, "discharging"))
>     actions:
>         -OccupyResource(Display)
>         -OccupyResource(CPU)
>
> Does it mean that if the phone is plugged in the display will be
> always on, and the phone will not suspend ?

Yes, that's the idea.

> What's the right way to tell frameworkd that I've modified rules.yaml?
> pkill -HUP frameworkd or /etc/init.d/frameworkd restart?

I'm afraid the current frameworkd needs a restart after modifying the
rules. I promise to fix this in the FSO2.

Cheers,

--
:M: