[Shr-User] Alternatives to FR

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:00:48 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Neil Jerram <neiljerram at googlemail.com> wrote:
> From the same point of view, I expect that further expansion of this
> platform will depend massively on whether N900 is successful.
> Firstly, whether it sells in large numbers; secondly, whether Nokia
> estimate that Maemo is now a more efficient platform for future
> development than their other options.

I highly doubt about the selling numbers of Nokia N900. It is the most
expensive
model from Nokia, with no other alternatives (from Nokia).

For example here in Hungary, none of the providers offer Nokia N900, so
paying the full price (590EUR) is pretty much a non-option for an average
person when he can get an iphone for 35 EUR
(plus 70EUR/month minimum talk).

I also doubt if it runs smoothly on a weaker device (processor-wise). Today
on the train I saw a guy with nokia N900. He was reading some texts on it.
Oh dear, the scrolling was awesomely laggish. As an openmoko user I
know a bit about laggish scrolling;-) It is really sad such a highend
device still suffers from it. (not as bad as openmoko though)

An iphone had never such problem, and it has a weaker hardware...

So Im back to my waiting position. In a year or so, my decision will be
crystal-clear;-)

Best regards,
 Laszlo