Alternatives to FR

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:35:02 CET 2010

2010/1/4 William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>:
> Nokia n900 - probably the best choice at this time.

Probably, but to be more precise "not yet" instead of "at this time".
It's the only one that seems to have realistic possibility of some day
having a free distribution running with all features enabled. But it's
not today, and it remains to be seen how active the community around
it is.

I'm personally thinking that in 1-2 years I could have a pure Debian
(maybe custom kernel) running on N900, with everything except probably
3D working. That assumes some people will reverse-engineer the battery

But until then there is simply no choice besides Neo FreeRunner,
unless something new appears or community around Palm evolves to reach
the level of free distribution hackers around Maemo and the modem
stuff is reverse-engineered.

And even with those, I would have to give up free hardware :S I'd
really hope for "FreeRunner with 3G and Glamo ripped off, possibly
newer CPU" some day. For example some company joining gta02-core
effort to semi-productize something new...

-Timo