[QtMoko] Call volumes

Brolin Empey brolin at brolin.be
Mon Jan 18 08:40:53 CET 2010

Denis Johnson wrote:
> I have switched to using QTMoko, currently running V16b and I cannot
> seem to get the call volumes right. Caller is not loud enough and
> caller struggles to hear me. do I need to fiddle with teh
> gsmhandset.state file manually or is there a better way ? I have a
> GTA02 A05 with buzzfix. Anyone have a same setup and would care to
> share their state file(s)

I use QtMoko v14 on a buzz-fixed US GTA02 rev A6.  I needed to increase
the mic gain in gsmhandset.state and learn to hold my FreeRunner so the
mouthpiece is close enough to my mouth for people to be able to hear me
well and the earpiece is close enough to my ear for me to be able to
hear them well.  It took months of frustration of me not being able to
hear people and/or them not being able to hear me, but I seem to finally
be used to holding my FreeRunner in the ideal position.  Troubleshooting
call volumes seems to be very difficult because there are so many
variables:  volume settings on phones, the way people hold their phones,
different form factors of phones (I did not have these problems with my
Nokia 6103b, which is a clamshell phone, but the FreeRunner is a bar
phone, so call volumes are more sensitive to the phone position),
handset versus speakerphone versus headset, etc.  For example, when I
call some call centres, such as Volkswagen Canada, both parties sound
quiet to the other, but when I access my Fido voice mail, the voice
menus are so loud they sound like I am using speakerphone when I am only
using the handset.

To conclude, I suggest increasing the mic gain (I can find the details
if you need them.), then calling someone and asking them how well they
can hear you when you hold your FreeRunner differently until you find
the ideal position, then try to always hold it that way.

Of course, if there is a better way to get satisfactory and consistent
call volumes on QtMoko, please tell me! :)