[Debian] installed on uSD ext3 using uboot

Joif fdvjoif at vodafone.it
Wed Jan 20 19:58:35 CET 2010

I used the "search" function but I didn't find any topic about this
situation.
Because the wikis in certain points are not clear, I write the following
hoping it could help a neo freerunner newbie (not a linux newbie! :P) like
me.

The target is to have Debian installed on an ext3 partition on the uSD and
booting with uBoot.
I'm using a brandnew neofreerunner a7 with  QtMoko v16b on NAND.

What I did first:
partitioning the uSD with fdisk (from QtMoko).
I have a 8GB kingstone uSD and I tried this configuration:
mmcblk0p1 ext3 Debian
mmcblk0p2 ext3 other distro
mmcblk0p3 ext3 data
mmcblk0p4 swap

To install Debian in the first ext3 partition (without other partitioning
operations) I used the install script mentioned in the debian wiki in this
way:
$ TASKS="ALL" SINGLE_PART=true SD_PART1_FS=ext3 ./install.sh
--no-partitioning all

Then I made a menu voice in uBoot with this parameters:
setenv menu_9 Debian: setenv bootargs \${bootargs_base} rootfstype=ext3
root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=5 \${mtdparts}\; mmcinit\; sleep 1\; ext2load
mmc 1:1 0x32000000 \${sd_image_name}\; bootm 0x32000000

And that's all :)

found issues:
1) if QtMoko goes in suspension something happens at the uSD and at the next
boot of debian I receive the error :
<<unable to read "uimage.bin" from mmc 1:1
wrong image format for boot command
error: can't get kernel image>>
Strange method but I solve this issue running again qtmoko (maybe a control
with fdisk of the uSD) and shutting down it.
2) at the first boot of the current version of debian, the touch screen
doesn't work properly. it has to be calibrated first but I don't know how to
do it in this moment :)