[SHR-U] Stop keyboard auto-display?

vancel35 vancel at thespazcat.com
Wed Jan 27 19:32:36 CET 2010

I recently did an update / upgrade, and I've notice that the problem is back,
but more stupid.

I removed the package again (matchbox-keyboard-im), and the package that
depended on it but provided no files ("opkg files" showed the package name,
but nothing in the list).  I suppose that package was simply added to create
a dependency on the other package.

The complaint I had in non-GTK apps is still there, but now it's more
severe.  Any time I close an app such as the power settings, the keyboard
has to pop up because of that click and it stays visible on the settings
page even though there are absolutely no entry fields.  In fact, almost any
time I click a Python button, the keyboard appears.

In the messages (SMS) app, if I'm going through and deleting my old
messages, the keyboard pops up every time I click "Options" so I have to
wait for the screen to redraw.  Then the keyboard stays there regardless of
the fact that there is nothing that allows text entry on that screen.

Why does it seem that the keyboard is being forced to be more obtrusive when
I want it to be less obtrusive?  If there were some kind of setting that I
could turn off, I'd be happy, but there's nothing.

Maybe a lot of people like the keyboard popping up when you don't want it
(and in places where you can't even use it), but I'm not one of those.